Thursday, June 23, 2011

Motorcycle stuff. Very cool if your into it, otherwise you may want to skip this post.

I finally got around to installing the Christmas gift I received from Beryl a while back. It was an exhaust kit for my R1, and I must say I'm very impressed with the results.

First of all, its a steal for the price. But it is labor intensive. You first have to disassemble most of the rear of the bike to remove the stock twin exhaust.











Once it was off the end cap rivets need to be drilled out then the factory titanium welds need to be cut to allow the removal of the inner baffle. I took them to my place of work to use some heavier tools. It still took about 2 hours to get both pipes gutted.

Factory Baffle









Once apart, its just a matter of replacing the restrictive stock baffle and replacing it with a newly wrapped race baffle in each pipe and riveting both end caps back on.

Restrictive Factory Baffle

Then of course its time to take them home and put it all back together.

I've only ridden it twice since putting it back together, but the improvements are noticeable. There is less of a power dip at the 6,000 rpm range, smoothing out the power delivery, and there is also less shuddering at lower speeds.

The best part though is the sound, it has a much deeper base sound and a nice growl when giving it some gas.

I'm including some sound clips from the company these were purchased from. I took some before and after videos myself, but the sound is not as good. If your interested in seeing my own bike with these, let me know.


Race baffles with repacking kit
According to the manufacture, "Installing this kit will give you about 4-6 hp and 5 lbs of torque." And "Saves you about 2 lbs of total weight compared to the OEM exhaust baffle."










I have to say, I am extremely impressed. Thanks again B.
My other baby...

No comments:

Post a Comment