Monday, June 7, 2010

Oh, ye of little faith

I want to share something that I have not with anyone else, from the safety of my anonymity of course. I was reading something about religion and it made me want to put this out there. This is the day I lost what little faith I had in the Catholic religion.

It was a little over ten years ago. I was younger of course, less worldly. My sister-in-law had her first child. This is the first child I had ever been close to, just knowing well enough to care, seeing him often enough. He was the first baby I had ever held, I've always shied away from that. He was my Godchild.

Well, cut to about 7 months later. We get a call that night, we have to rush into Children's Hospital in Boston, he is not doing well. I don't remember any kind of panic or worry on my part, I figured it must just be a bad sickness or something. So we get there and are told he has Spinal Meningitis and there is nothing they can do for him. I felt the world ripped out from under me in less than a second, how does this happen to a 7 month old?

To this day I have a hard time talking or thinking about this.

We all go into the room in shifts, two at a time, to say our goodbyes. What do you say to a child that can't even talk yet, who has yet to live a life that is being taken away? It tears my heart out to this day, looking down on a helpless child who will not make it another hour. I don't recall what I felt then, I was just in a daze. Looking around the waiting room, not a dry eye there among family and friends.

I remember the wake and funeral vividly, it was too much grief in one place at one time. I had never experienced an unexpected death until this point, only it was much more poignant being a child. I had friends that could not even go near the room with the casket, they would not, they refused. I remember not wanting to be there, I couldn't even look at my sister and brother-in-law, could not look them in the eye. I couldn't deal with my emotions, how did they?

I became very angry at the church. The in-laws are very God fearing people so how could this happen to them? They were brought up devout Catholics, unlike myself who came from a mixed religion marriage. My mother was Catholic, my father didn't care and never attended mass. He left our religious education up to my mother who enrolled us in Sunday school and made us complete all the sacraments.

This was the event that changed my view of religion, the day I lost my faith. My inner anger has grown since then. I still attend mass with my wife occasionally but I feel the absolute fraud. I think about the little boy, laying there with all kinds of tubes in him, helpless, every time I enter a church. And my heart is stained a little more every time.

The in-laws turned back to the church, stronger, wiser, now with five children. I turned away with a still heavy yet fragile heart.

5 comments:

  1. This pains me to even read. My worst fear and I just can't/don't want to imagine. My heart breaks for the family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, you're not the only one in that situation. I lost faith too when my brother passed away a few years ago. All his life he had all sorts of health issues, finally had a normal life and suddenly had cancer at 29 and died 4 years later. When he signed his will, he refused to sign the first one presented to him that said "I give my soul back to God" (or some kind of similar wording). He had it changed and I supported him 100%.

    But losing such a young child must have been devastating... sad to read that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This breaks my heart. As a mom, I can't imagine going through something like that. I don't know what I would do. I can't blame you or anyone for losing faith. Mine is only hanging on my the tiniest thread as it is, this would shatter it for certain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this last night and waited til this morning to comment. It breaks my heart the family had to go through this, it is just wrong. There are times when we question God's will, but we receive no answer. This is when blind faith steps in. There is a song which has a message about being carried by the Lord, called Held. "This is what it is to be held, and to know that the sacred is torn from your life, and you survive." The family survived. You survived. You are all changed because of it. God carried you through, through your pain, through your suffering and brought you out on the other side. I turned away from Catholicism years ago, and found my solace in the actual Bible. I truly hope that you know this kind of peace some day. Also, know that God is carrying you through the turmoil in your marriage, as he is carrying me through mine. I am devouring your entries quickly, and cannot wait for you to update.

    ReplyDelete