Monday, September 27, 2010

Century, The Ride for Kids

I did it.

It took 5 hours and 58 minutes in the saddle, but I finished, my first century under my belt. Up until this point my longest ride was 54 miles.  My ass is killing me, but the legs held out, no problem.  Unfortunately, the same can't be said of my ridding partners.

Saturday started out great, up at 5, on the road by 6, parked, dressed, and registered by 6:30.  All accompanied by a nice 65 deg morning.  Got some fuel into me, and meet up with the two gents I would be riding with.  One who I road with last year when we did the 50 together (G),and the other who did the 100 last year (B).

We set out at a good pace, in and out of the first water stop, no problems.  About 30 miles in, we start hitting hilly terrain and a lot of head winds, G is no longer keeping pace with us.  We constantly kept him in sight, right up until this monster climb, I geared down and attacked it, B about 30 seconds behind me.  We continued to the second water stop at 42 miles, G was in about 2 minuets later.  He was starting to hurt, not a good sign.  We took 10-15 to replenish some liquids and food, and stretch a bit, then set out again.

We went through some of the most beautiful lake areas in southern Massachusetts on this leg of the trip, but G was not enjoying any of it.  By the time we got to the 60 mile water stop, his legs were locking up on him.  We rested a bit, but G wanted to wait at least another half hour before going and sent us on without him.  We started going again, nice pace, enjoying the scenery, when at about 72 miles B jump off his bike in pain.  His right thigh had lock up on him.  He worked the muscle loose and we continued on to the 76 mile water stop.
We stretched and hydrated, I gave B all the time he needed before we continued on.

The last 20 or so miles, I just wanted it to end.  My back and shoulders were burning, no matter how I stretched in the saddle it was not helping.  We blew past the last water stop, just wanting to reach the end.

Finally made it in, B and I, slowly climbing off our bikes and hobbling down to the food and family tents.  As I'm walking, I see my wife and little one just as they spot me.  She comes running towards me with this big balloon hat on, "daddy, daddy, daddy", it was enough to make me forget my pains.

8 comments:

  1. That is awesome!!! Congrats!
    Dont they have those padded pants to wear to help with ASS soreness?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've done something great, for you and for others, it must have been so cute and heart-warming to see your little girl running to you... yet all I can think of is your poor bum who needs some tlc. ;)

    Seriously & all kidding aside, congrats!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome accomplishment, W. Did G make it in, too? - Woodstock

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! That is sooooo huge and I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is totally amazing! WOW! I'm flat-out impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, thanks everyone for the kind support. I'm just happy I was able to finish without incident.

    Soccermom: Believe it or not, I was wearing those shorts, and my ass still kills.

    Woodstock: G did finish about 45 minutes after us, he was just as proud to have finished.

    Spring: Yes, I could use some TLC, but I'm afraid even that would hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm proud of you, sweetheart. I know I keep saying so, but I thought I'd say so here, too.

    xox
    Beryl

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow.. amazing accomplishment..

    I do a 35 mile cancer ride and that alone is a killer for me.. and NO hills! I can't imagine 100 mi w hilly terrain.

    Congrats... job very well done!

    ReplyDelete