Friday, September 3, 2010

Romantic? Who Me?

If I'm such a romantic guy (so says everyone here) then why is it my wife doesn't see it? How is it I can make someone so damn far away happy (and believe me, I love doing it) and yet the one that lays next to me every night is oblivious? Do we really grow so used to the people we live with that we become so blind to that which is in front of us? I'm beginning to see the answer as an unequivocal yes.

Its funny because Danielle and I were talking about this a few months ago after she read one of my post and she was convinced that my wife had her head up her ass, I always thought it was a stick permanently lodged up there, but I really do believe it must be her head.


Those of you who have been reading for awhile know I tend to be demure myself, so I'll often err on the side of caution, being humble and lacking to much hubris. Take a look back at ancient literature, Greek especially, and you'll find that to much pride, more often than not, is the hero's downfall. I never want to come off as to egotistical or arrogant, there seems to be plenty of that out there on the blog-sphere already. Thats why I will tend to minimize some of my actions, that, in all reality, mean a lot more.

Peedee and Vixen Kitten think I need some sense smacked up side my head I'm sure, judging by their comments. I guess all I'm trying to say is I don't feel like I'm setting out to be romantic, it just happens.

So as Peedee says, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

"Quack"

7 comments:

  1. Sometimes I feel I am part of the furniture. I guess we take the other for granted, no matter how hard we try to be romantic, open, helpful, etc. But relationships take work, constant work... from both.

    Keep quacking, you romantic guy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whhaaa....wait. I'm a lover, not a fighter!

    Ummmmm...ok, unless you're adding gas to an already fueling fire of someone I respect and think the world of, in an effort to garner yourself attention. Sheesh...I had to add that because of my last post! I am loyal to a fault. :)

    Ennnneway. Yes, I think you listen, which is not something most people do. And by listening you heard what her heart really was saying...and as I said, THAT was the true gift.

    I think romance means different things to different people. If someone is living a life where they are never heard, and someone comes along and truly listens, truly reads between the lines, then what they do is so amazing, and so wonderful that it rocks their little world.

    If she owned a flower shop, and you sent her 3 dozen roses, it would hardly seem romantic would it? Yet, if you sent those 3 dozen roses to a woman who never ever received any type of "just because" gift, any type of acknowledgement that she was thought about, they would seem like the most romantic gesture of the face of the earth.

    We all have different needs. Being romantic is simply being astute enough to read the signals and fill those needs.

    There you have the ~vk~ version of love and romance in 100 words or less.

    Keep quacking, ducky.

    xoxo
    ~vk~

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bottom line is you are a pretty amazing man and I'm not the only one who can see that. The next three days are going to be yucky without you, but thanks to your thoughtfulness, I have some of you here with me. Thank you, sweetheart. xox Beryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. What was romantic yesterday, isn't romantic today, or is it?. I use to open the car door for my wife, patiently wait for her to get in the car, and close the door. Then they made remote door openers so you don't have to use a key to unlock a car door. Now its hey I don't need to wait for you to unlock my door, just push the button and let me in. Then one day I open he door for her like I use too. After I got in the car, she started giving me a ear full of how it use to be.. I brought up how she doesn't wait for me to open any doors anymore, the last time I tried to open a door for her at the super market, she ran me over. I use to buy her flowers for no reason. She started asking me what day was it, or what did I do wrong now. I stopped buying flowers period.. Then one day out of the blue, she ask me what happen to that romantic guy who bought her flowers all the time? I said, he was waiting for a reason to buy them. As soon as I said that she apologized, she said she didn't realize how that must of made me feel, she was just so use to it. She ask me why didn't I say something, I said I did, she wasn't listening... Being taken for granted, is easy in any marriage. It is so easy to overlook your spouse until they do something out of the norm. After being married a long time, my spouse and I both have learned, it takes work on both sides to keep our marriage happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1manview summed it up nicely... it takes work on both sides.

    If you feel you are trying.. and shes not.. she needs to know that you are unhappy, and unhappy means...you may give up. Sometimes being faced with losing someone makes you stop taking them for granted. Having that attention from Beryl that you aren't getting at home is making you realize what you are missing I'm sure.. the question remains though..

    ultimately... where do you want to be Ducky?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to thank you all for your time and comments, they are all quite heartfelt and I appreciate your views.

    Whats nice is being appreciated for me, just the way I am.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not actually knowing you and/or her makes the response difficult. Reading what you write, that you can actually *think it* and then *write it* is so totally romantic to me. The one thing I could think of is to make her feel special. What works for one might not work for another so you have to be observant.

    ReplyDelete