Monday, August 2, 2010

Pain

I experienced a physical pain like never before Sunday morning, and the best part, it was totally self-inflicted.

I have a fundraiser ride coming up in about a month that I need to get ready for. It's a 100 mile route and I need to get my legs primed and ready. It's on the pedal bike, not the motorcycle by the way. I know what you were thinking...

Anyhow, I have been out riding every weekend and have been putting some miles in on the stationary trainer when I get a chance. Up until yesterday, I have been riding a 25 mile loop while keeping my speed and cadence up. Well yesterday, I decided I needed to get more miles in, plus I needed to get the fuck out of the house for a while, some alone time.

I ended up just riding, choose a road and kept going. I ended up totally lost. About 20 miles in, I'm looking around and thinking "where the fuck am I?". Thankfully, my bike computer is GPS based and can give me general directionality back to my starting point, because I'm also to stubborn to turn around. I eventually find my way back to an area I know and keep heading toward home. But I digress.

At the 36 mile mark, my legs are starting to really burn and stiffen up on me. I stop to get off the bike and try to stretch them out for about ten minutes. It's not working to well. Fuck it, I'm not far from home now, about five miles, no problem. I have to tell you, it was the hardest five miles I've ever ridden. The pain in my legs is getting worse, I keep standing up, trying to stretch out the legs. It's just not fucking working. I'm cursing myself as a pussy, telling myself to suck it up and pedal harder. I make it home, get off the bike and hobble into the house, straight for the aspirin. I then preceded to curl up on the floor in agony. My legs felt like they were going to explode, the muscles super taut.

I suffer from dehabilitating migraines. I have sat through five hours of tattoo work with little more than being a bit uncomfortable. I have a four inch scar on my wrist where I put my fist through a window and cut myself to the bone. And I've ridden 50 plus mile routes before with no issues, but this was something totally new to me. It was off the chart pain. I dropped into a really hot bath, which seemed to help, a lot. But not before a half hour's worth of the worst pain in my life.

All self-inflicted.

4 comments:

  1. What is that saying?? No pain, no gain. Think of the good you did for your body though. I am proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And no one there to message the hurt out?!? If you were mine, I would have message the pain away! Either you were dehydrated or your salt was low. Check you pee color, orange is dehydrated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you're doing better now. That sounds horrid even for a good cause!

    What pleaseatme said sounds logical, more water!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was plenty of pain, so there better be gain. Thanks D

    pleaseatme, Its now two days later and damn I could really use that massage, I'm open to suggestions. I try hard to keep hydrated, maybe it just was not enough for that ride.

    Definitely better now thanks nitebyrd.

    ReplyDelete