Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Now I know that I've talked about passion before, but that was from a purely sexual standpoint. I also appreciate those who have a passion for something they practice and it shows when they are doing that something. For me, I tend to notice it most with musicians.

I guess you could say it started years ago with my love for Pink Floyd, and over the years I've collected quite the collection of CD's and DVD's by both Pink Floyd and David Gilmour, the lead guitarist since 1968. He plays with such heart and passion that it makes me enjoy listening to his work even more. If you ever get the chance to see either the Pink Floyd Pulse double DVD or David Gilmour Live in Gdansk, you will not be disappointed if you are a guitar fan.

Another guitarist that plays from the heart and always has is Eric Clapton, there is that deep passion in all of his playing, from early Cream works to blues to playing live for all kinds of benefits and festivals. It really shows in live performances how much he puts in, watch Clapton on Unplugged playing Layla and you will see it. Again, it makes listening to their work that much more enjoyable.

There are a few singers as well that put everything they have into their work. One is Aaron Lewis from the band Staind, his live performance of inside at the Family Values tour really showed his power. Another singer that was really good live was Jonathan Davis from the band Korn. The Unplugged show they did a few years back is still one of my favorites to listen to because of his vocals.

I'm sure there are many others that I've never seen or heard. These are just a few that stand out to me. I'd love to hear your opinions as well.

2 comments:

  1. Don't know much about Staind, other than for their most popular songs that I really love, btw. I agree, musicians are passionate.

    On my side of the border (!), I can tell you that Blue Rodeo rocks. Jim Cuddy and Greg Keelor are awesome guitarists and singers who really pour their hearts out during a show. Cuddy is coming to town this summer & I'll be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaron Lewis is amazing!!! I am a little partial to the AC/DC crew,, they were amazing in concert. And recently seeing the boy's from Great White I was impressed with the lead singer's performance,, even though you could tell he was doing bad physically,, he still rocked it!!

    ReplyDelete